Details, details . . .
vaccine day 162
151 days into retirement
So yeah, I’m a bus driver. Haven’t actually driven one since I passed the road test a little over two weeks ago.
Had to approved by the school board, went and got a physical (rather a joke really), did the whole employee intake process and already took their on-line sexual harassment course. (So now I should be proficient ad sexually harassing people. Be careful!!)
I’ve shadowed one of their drivers for 2 days, (she graduated with my youngest brother – small district here) but still can’t drive a bus with kids in it because – I need to be fingerprinted and registered with the state. Tried to get an appointment for it last week but of course, the state’s system was out of whack. Then my supervisor was out for surgery for a couple of days and now here we are. Gotta call in and see if she wrangled me an appointment for the prints yet.
Camper issues are getting resolved. The scariest one, the black tank drain, was the easiest fix. Turns out it was a geometry problem. Silly me figured the drain would be attached to the bottom of the tank. Not the case. The drain actually is attached to the side of the tank, as low as is reasonably possible. But!! The interior of the drain pipe just can’t be flush with the floor of the tank. Mechanical & strength of material issues kind of prevent that. Bottom line? The black tank has an ante. In a day and a half of use (#1 only, no #2 business on a weekend trip!) we never reached the pot minimum, so it looked like a drain fail. After researching the subject a bit. I got brave and decided to use the black tank flush input and add 5 – 6 gallons of fresh water to the black tank. Then I hooked up my honey bucket (a separate 21 gallon waste tank on wheels) and pulled the drain lever. Voila! Ze black tank she drains! Now I have about 5 gallons of verrrry diluted pee sitting in my garage. THat honey bucket is coming along on out next trip (next week!!) and I’ll drain it then.
I ordered O-rings from the filter company, they’ve arrived and I tested out the water system over the weekend. That looks like another resolved issue. Glued in the trim strips and have an appointment to get the rear light strip fixed.
In a non camper related issue, my griddle regulator also failed on that last trip. Griddle surface barely got hot enough to melt butter. Finally tracked down a spare part & tested that over the weekend. Looks like pancakes are back on the breakfast menu!!
Just heard from my new supervisor. She’s still not able to register me on-line for an appointment, so I’m going to head over to the fingerprinting place and see if I can get it done in person. Hope this goes well!