Catching up in a list. With Explanations.
So it’s been a while. Again. Weelllll, the network at work is down (at least the work side of it), so I can stop in and try to catch up with a list.
- Still haven’t replaced the bionic ear on my right side. It’s upwards of $1K to do it, so I may have to save for a while.
- Coulda paid for the bionics, but we decided to go back to New Orleans next April and really finish the French Quarter Fest. That whole having to fly off to Columbus to get to my mom in the hospital there put a damper on things. Did I write about that? I’ll have to check.
- Lost a cat. Not like misplaced – more like UTI so bad the poor thing couldn’t pee. RIP
Diesel. He had his quirks, but he never climbed on the counters or tables and he was very tidy with his litter box. Could only be petted on his terms, but they were pretty good terms.
- Got new cats. Surprised that Diesel was replaced, or that he was replaced by 2?
This would be Tucker on the right with the frosted ears and Otis on the left with the white nose. Brothers, litter-mates. Tucker is a little bigger, somewhat dominant. Otis is the quintessential little brother, takes a licking, counter-attacks well and is usually the instigator in the “hey – what’s in here?” game. In this shot they’re about 10 weeks old – all of 2.5 pounds each. They’re off to the vet today for their last round of vaccines and hopefully some suggestions on how to calm down Tuckers squirts. Had them both checked for worms, none detected. We’re trying different dry food, starting to wonder if it’s lactose intolerance (they are both flatulent little shits). Anyone with cats and ideas, leave a comment!
- Looks like our summer heatwave/drought is coming to an end. Temps have decidedly moderated lately, although it did get into the 80’s yesterday – rare for October in these parts. For the year we are 6+inches behind on rainfall, but the next 2 days looks like it will take a couple inches off that total. Again, for us, that’s rare to get 2+ inches of rain out of a single system. A foot of snow? Not so rare.
- Speaking of which, they actually used the “s” word in the forecast this morning. Possibility of snow flurries in the higher elevations. at hoome, we’re about 540 feet above sea level – NOT higher elevations. They’re talking Allegheny’s, Catskills and Adirondacks.
- Our State Parks and DEC Parks have a 9 month window for making camping reservations. In order to get campsites on the water, you have to have your mouse ready to click the “reserve” button at 9am on the day 9 months before you intend to camp. The kids figured out their schedule (cop & a nurse – talk about weird schedules). We clicked in abject horror as our first two selections got snagged right out from under us, then finally were able to lock in our Plan C. Cranberry Lake State Park, sites 48 & 49. Come stop by next July!
This is Cecily learning how to climb rocks at our site last July. She’s a great camper! Looks like the other half of our clan is seriously considering joining us this year. Our son is a long time camper, his wife is less sure about it all. We’re trying to get her to embrace the whole “take a bath in the lake, forget the make-up, your hair doesn’t have to be perfect” attitude that goes with camping. She’s a great gal, not at all high maintenance, she’s just neat & clean (she’s a dental hygienist – of COURSE she’s neat & clean!). Not something to strive for when you’re camping. We’ll break her.
- Remind me to call my mom. I have a part to fix her garage door opener.
- Got to stop flying to Charlottesville, VA. Been there twice for work. Like the company and people I work with there. Great folks, super product. But both times the trip home was a large scale pain in the ass. First trips problem was due to thunderstorms in Charlotte, NC where I had to swap planes. Second trip we got hung up leaving Atlanta by some really weird electrical problems that cropped up every time they tried to push the plane back from the gate. Ended up switching planes and getting home 3 hours late. At 2:30 am. Plus the drive home. Worked the next day too.
- While in Charlottesville last time I tried this “Lump crab and asparagus macaroni & cheese” dish for dinner. I know! I was really excited to try it. Sadly, they fell way short on the cheese sauce. It’s like the sauce broke and there were bits of cheese curd and some oil, but no real sauce. Or maybe we’re spoiled at home, I don’t know. At least the local craft brew was good.
- Golf has wrapped up and bowling has started. Our golf season here is so short, I just get really into the groove of things, get my drives dialed in, work out some of my iron issues (I can still hook an 8-iron like a 3 dollar crack whore), gain back some touch with the wedges around the greens and really start putting well and it’s time to quit. Ah well.
- My brother in law has 3 kids – 2 boys and a girl. All married. The gal in each couple is preggers. Their due dates are in January, February and April. He’ll go from 2 grandkids to 5 in a matter of months. We’re at 3 and holding. Expect to have #4 one of these years, but we aren’t hanging over them constantly asking when they’re going to try. Poor girls last (only) delivery was pretty rugged, she’ll be ready when she’s ready. I just hope she isn’t pregnant NOW and it throws a wrench into our camping plans next year!
- no 13. Bad luck.
- 4,442 days since I quit smoking and started a blog somewhere. (8/22/2004) Wow.
- no 15. Outta news.